Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Be Still My Heart.....

My summer is about to heat up....seriously.  People who know me know that I have watched General Hospital for YEARS.  Since 1993 to be exact.  Don't make fun.  Anyway, I think everything about this soap is genius.  Its not ridiculous like some soaps are and instead of watching a campy soap opera, I often feel like I'm watching just one long movie.  It sucked me in and hasn't let me go.  My closest friends also know that my all-time favorite TV show which lasted only for 18 short episodes back in 1999-2000 is 'Freaks & Geeks' produced by one of my favorites in the industry, one Mr. Judd Apatow.  Freaks & Geeks was a launching pad (sort of) for then unknowns such as Seth Rogen (Knocked Up, Pineapple Express), Jason Segel (Knocked Up, Forgetting Sarah Marshall, TV's How I Met Your Mother), Martin Starr (Knocked Up, Adventureland & the current Starz hit Party Down) and yes....none other than JAMES FRANCO.  SO....Franco, as he's affectionately known, was originally the most successful out of the Freaks alums, doing very serious work and then the Spiderman trilogy as well as teaming up with Seth Rogen for Pineapple Express.  He's known to have a serious hunger and a passion for work and doing projects simply because they interest him.  Last fall, its documented that he approached General Hospital about have a storyline.  General Hospital is known for its mobster storylines, so naturally to have a name like James Franco interested in YOU, they jumped.  He appeared for a full month as....how original....Franco.  His character's name was simply Franco.  He was a psycho/performance art obsessed/death obsessed murderer.  When he left, his storyline was left very open.  So open in fact, that I knew he would return.  Well....today I received an email from a friend of mine who works as a producer on the show simply letting me know that "James Franco just walked into the studio to begin taping....just thought I'd tell you...."  My heart skipped a beat.  From what I understand he'll be directing his next episodes with GH as well.  I love this rare turn because its GENIUS for him because this is not a project he HAD to do....this boy is doing just fine and remaining very credible.  He's been quoted as saying he was really enthralled in the serial nature of soaps and that it 'fascinated' him.  Lets be honest....James Franco just made himself visible to millions of viewers who otherwise may not have been familiar with his work, and it gave General Hospital the exposure and press it needed to pick up the most Daytime Emmy Nominations in the show's long history.  I'm ready (as millions of other viewers are) to welcome this hot piece of talent back to Daytime, even if it is just for a short while.  Its a win win situation and I, for one, am patiently awaiting June 30th when he'll air his first episode.  I'm prepared to be blown away....or squealing like a tween girl at a Jonas Brothers concert.  Probably both. 

No comments:

Post a Comment