Friday, June 11, 2010

Tony Awards June 13!

Those that know me know that my roots run deep in theatre.  For the majority of my growing up, I wanted to be on Broadway (or in a music video for Bon Jovi, but I digress).  I took many trips to NYC to experience the Great White Way in all its glory and to cram as many shows in as I could over a few days spent there.  For me, there is nothing like witnessing the amazing talent of broadway casts live in person.  No auto-tuning on their voices, no cutting and re-doing, just pure raw performance at its best.  I've seen some amazing performers and now am completely proud to call a few friends of mine performers on those stages that we once just looked at from the crowd.  To anyone obsessed with theatre, the Tony Awards are our Oscars.  I'm personally extremely excited to see how actor Sean Hayes (Will & Grace) does as a host.  I am quite the fan of Neil Patrick Harris who is a favorite past-host.  I'm MORE thrilled to be seeing a performance from 'American Idiot' writted based on the music of Green Day's award-winning album, American Idiot.  I love rock operas and I love rock operas that get it right even more.  Queen's rock opera "We Will Rock You" would be an example of one that didn't quite hit the mark....but the music was amazing as expected.  American Idiot is up for several Tonys including Best Musical and the cast will be performing with Green Day.  It should be an epic performance to have the rock and theatre world come together onstage for an explosive performance that should be even bigger than the Grammy performance earlier this year.  For my fellow 'Gleeks' out there, Lea Michele and Matthew Morrison will also be performing.  Here's a video clip from American Idiot.  I'm beyond excited.  And that, my friends, concludes my theatre geek soapbox for the day....

No comments:

Post a Comment